Kite Surfing lessons Port Douglas
Get ready for the ultimate crash course and Kite suring lessons in beautiful Port Douglas.
Starting with the ultimate location and weather, Port Douglas offers the dream location to learn to kitesurf.
This course is best spread over three days, but you can master it in one day if the weather is correct.
During this program, learn the skills and knowledge to get you up on the kiteboard quickly and safely in no time.
This experienced team will teach you everything from rigging to kite control and dragging before getting up on the board to ride short distances along Four Mile Beach in Port Douglas.
The itinerary below is a rough guide. Our instructors will constantly assess your skills and progress.
They will ensure you have mastered each skill before moving on to the next one. Our ultimate goal is to get you riding 50 metres upwind and downwind.
After each lesson, you can use all the equipment for free to practice.
After your kite surfing lessons, you will still have lots to learn. However, you will be ready to handle most beginner situations.
Lessons will be at your own pace, with instructors assessing your skills and progress before moving on to the next step. The ultimate goal is to get you riding 50 metres upwind and downwind.
During the Kite Surfing lessons course, you will cover
- Assessing the weather
- Equipment and safety
- Rigging the kite
- Safety systems
- How to launch your kite
- How to pilot your kite and simply fly in and out of the water
Next, see our Port Douglas Adventure tour
Kite Surfing Lesson 1 – Kite Control
Starting on the beach. We will get you feeling confident with the kite. You will understand how it moves in the wind and how to control it. We’ll then go through some initial theory and a location assessment before teaching you how to rig up. Afterwards, we’ll head into the water for kite exercises.
This lesson, we will cover:
- How to read the weather and perform a location assessment
- Equipment and safety theory
- Rigging a kite and the various components
- Know how the three safety systems work and what to do in the event of a problem
- Understanding the theory of the wind window and how it relates to kiting
- Know how to launch and land a kite for someone else
- Learn how to pilot a kite and perform simple flying exercises in and out of the water
Kite Surfing Lesson 2 – Body Dragging
This lesson is dedicated to body dragging, where you will spend most of your time in the water, working towards your ultimate goal: board start attempts!
Body dragging is exciting as you can feel the kite’s power as it drags you through the water – you won’t just be standing still with your new kite friend! It’s a vital skill because, undoubtedly, you’ll fall off your board, probably a lot (it happens to the best of us!) and will need to know how to recover it by body dragging upwind.
This Kite Surfing lesson will include:
- How to enter and exit the water independently and safely while controlling the kite
- How to water relaunch the kite
- Basic downwind body dragging
- Advanced upwind body dragging
- Change direction to the left and right while body dragging
- Upwind body drag holding the board with one hand
- Enter and exit at the same point while the upwind body dragging
- Self-rescue and full pack-down in deep water
Kite Surfing Lessons 3 – Water Start
In this lesson, we’ll be practising and learning all there is to know about the board starts. Our goal is to get you on the board and successfully to ride short distances
This lesson will include:
- Learning the power strokes required for a water start
- Know the safety rules and theory for a water start
- Put the board on your feet and maintain the correct position for a water start
- Practice water starts in both directions and riding a short distance
- Come to a controlled stop
- Determine the wind strength, direction, and quality
- Know the right-of-way rules
What to bring
There are no reviews yet