Kuku Yalanji Indigenous Cultural Beach Walk
The Kuku Yalanji people are the traditional rainforest people of North Queensland.
This fantastic tour is 100% Aboriginal-owned and operated.
With two daily departures at 9:30 am and 1:30 pm from Cooya Beach. This tour commences at 1 Palm Court Cooya Beach.
The Kuku Yalanji people inhabitant the region from Cooktown in the north to Chillagoe in the West and Port Douglas in the South.
This traditional fishing ground is just 15 minutes north of Port Douglas.
To begin, meet a Kuku Yalanji Traditional Custodian for a rare insight into their Culture.
Discover how the Walker family maintains their heritage, including traditional hunting and gathering activities.
After explaining the cultural importance of this country, your guide will introduce you to traditional spear throwing and fishing.
Hunt and Gather
Next, follow your guide along Cooya Beach through the mangroves and across mudflats. This tour also observes cultural medicine and food plants.
Join your guides as they continue their daily hunting, including spearfishing and gathering of food for their families.
During this tour, listen to traditional stories about the land, family and heritage. The guide will also show you Kuku Yalaji artifacts.
Afterwards, the Kuku Yalaji guides will prepare the food that has gathered. Then all guests sample the delicious catch of the day.
A fantastic insight into the oldest indigenous culture on the planet!
“Protecting, Practising & Sharing Our Culture”
Click the link to view other Australian Indigenous Cultural tours.
Traditional fishing and gathering of food
- 09.30 am First, meet at 1 Palm Street, Cooya Beach.
- Then take the Habitat Walk along Cooya Beach and through the mudflats.
- 11.30 am Hear stories and see indigenous artefacts while tasting your catch.
- 12.00 pm Approximately tour will finish.
What to bring
- Hat, Sunscreen and Sunglasses
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Sense of adventure
How to get there
Head north past Port Douglas. Next, turn right onto Boonie Doon Road, about 8.3kms past Port Douglas Road turn off. Then turn right onto Melaleuca Drive and follow around to Bougainvillea Street to Palm Street.
Your tour meeting point is 1 Palm Street, Cooya Beach.
- A medium to a high level of fitness is required for this experience.
- There are no refunds on this tour.
- Private tours are available.
- Easter Monday, Queens Birthday, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, and New Year’s day incur the Private Tour rate.